Fri, 25 November 2016
Turkeys in my Operatic Existance
Is this not a poifekt day to use that "Broadway" expression??
Here are mine:
1. Angela Gheourghiu reading the Traviata letter in Braille
2. Except for great high C's, the career of Kurt Baum
3. New Zealand horrid tenor Reginald Byers forgetting to come in offstage during Galvany's "Sempre Libera" and she also told me his dentures fell down the toilet bowl..GIUSTIZIA!!!!!!
4. Cannot list all the La Puma Opera turkeys...just maybe the chorus lady in Aida wearing a watch..(Memphis time?????)
5. Some jerk who had no business singing Ramfis at an early age, cracking on "Folgore, MOOOORTE!" (But I made up for it later on and even sang the RE the same night)
6. Tenor Mario Ortica,ruining Tebaldi's Aida....After "Vicino a sol," I think his madre only applauded.
7.Some Met dude backstage pulling the Walkure act 2 final curtain BEFORE the great James Morris uttered his last words....It went back up..too late...Did he kill anyone with his speer?
8. Tenor Jon Crain at City Opera in 1954 HUGGING Tosca at "Morto..morto..." I guess he forgot to read the libretto.
9. The greatest air raid siren in history....The Milanov high C at the end of "Ma dall'arrido" at Marian Anderson's debut. NY Fire Dept.thought it might replace their usual sirens. (See how fair I am about my all-time favorite singer.??)
10.Not having Ebe Stignani at the Met
FELICE TURKEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Love you all
Category:general -- posted at: 12:45pm EDT